234 West 17th St., New York, NY
Biolite Inc. produced a wide variety of back-lite bubbler lighted signs during the 1920s through the 1940s. With the repeal of National Prohibition in 1933, Biolite Inc. created a wide variety of styles of bubbler advertising signs for breweries as well as other companies.
Bubbler signs are actually back-lite signs usually about 18″ wide by 4″ high with protruding liquid filled glass tube letters. When lite the bulbs would heat the colored liquid inside the glass tubes causing them to bubble; hence why the signs are widely known as Bubblers or Biolite Bubbler Signs.
The distinctive signs Biolite, Inc. made drew a great deal of inspiration from the Art Deco styles of the 1930s. Because of their high quality; it’s likely the bubbler signs marketed to brewers were some of the more expensive point-of-purchase advertising signs that could be made at the time. With brewers jockeying for attractive signs in the months following Repeal, the advertising departments of many breweries undoubtedly took an interest in the colorful, high quality signs Biolite had to offer.
The Biolite, Inc. Manufacturers company made various bubbler beer signs for breweries like Goetz Country Club, Leinenkugel, Burkhardt’s, Geo. Ehret’s, Golden Drops, Lucky Lager, Blatz, Hull’s, Old Stock, Sprenger, and Kuebler just to name a few.
Below are a few examples of Biolite Bubbler Signs: